A message from Councillor Carole Mulroney, Leigh Councillor and Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group on Southend-on-Sea City Council
Originally published by Liberal Democrats - Working For You Across Southend
- The council does not have the power to hire and fire of police. The Tories cannot promise anything (and just remember who cut police numbers in the first place).
- The grass cutting regime is not changing. We are setting aside some green areas for bees and pollinators and there will be local consultation and preservation of areas of parks which are used for other activities. 97% of meadowland has been lost in the UK but it is not even on the Tory radar.
- We have NOT voted for 2-weekly waste collections. Food waste is a weekly collection by law if you were worrying. The environmental issues around the waste collection were not considered by the Tories as important in the discussion.
- No one has said anything about building on Two Tree Island as they state in Leigh although a Tory councillor suggested we look at building housing on Leigh green belt nearby. We can only assume West Leigh Tory Councillors agreed with him.
- And just remember who wanted to close our libraries and Leigh community centre.
- We are spending £10m a year on roads and pavements after decades of Tory neglect. It was a Tory councillor that said potholes were good for slowing down traffic!"